Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Date With The Incomparable Ms. Z. Drew

Part Seven Continued..

A sideways smile and a delicate laugh greeted me as I approached.  Tossing the phone into her lap, I just shook my head as she explained her ‘low value on things’.  This is where the conversation began, debating and deconstructing. 
The differences in our backgrounds meant we disagreed just enough to make things interesting, each strong enough to hold their own in discussion while respecting the differences of the other’s argument.  Her speech was uncomplicated and eloquent, yet the ideas she proposed were breath-taking in their defiance of social norms, simply seeking complete authenticity of self.  The considered, practised methods of living that she described floored me.  My bones felt the depth of this experience with such a unique individual.

Wine replaced beer before the sun had nudged the buildings opposite us and I can’t honestly say I remember what we talked about.  Or even if we did.  To say this woman’s company felt natural to me is like saying it feels natural to seek water when thirsty, sleep when tired, scratch when itchy.  It required no explanation to me then and it still doesn’t.  I relaxed into the moments as they filled with the developing beauty of the shared experience – the changing light, the sound of the water, the concepts we explored together – and felt something small and under-fed within me slowly unfurl fern-like, swelling with this new-found nourishment.

The sun set and we sought shelter.

To Be Continued..

No comments:

Post a Comment